This week on the podcast we are talking about consent and some other extremely vulnerable topics with guest, Karen B.K. Chan. Karen is an award-winning sex and emotional literacy educator in Toronto, Canada, with over 20 years of experience. She is trained in creative facilitation, productive thinking and nonviolent communication. I have had Karen on my podcast guest wishlist for such a long time. I was so enthralled with her website. I read ALL.THE.THINGS. she has created, watched her YouTube channel and more. She is an amazing Emotional Intelligence educator and I'm excited for you to hear our conversation.
In this episode Karen and I talk a lot about emotions, so much emotions y’all. But not only do we talk about emotions, Karen provides insightful advice and information on how to actually deal with emotions, how to feel our feelings and do the work. We also dive into sexual consent; how to navigate it, how to overcome emotional and social barriers relating to consent and letting go of guilt for creating boundaries around sexual intimacy.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- Some ways to better deal with our emotions (8:42)
- How learning to navigate your feelings can lead to an outlet of creative expression, especially writing (11:24)
- How to deal with emotions when you are stressed or burnt out (16:01)
- Being innovative in your personal relationships as it relates to empathy, emotion, human connection and clarity (18:58)
- Working to decrease unconscious biases in our lives (28:37)
- Social and emotional barriers to sexual consent and how we can overcome them (37:14)
- How to let go of guilt for creating boundaries around sexual intimacy or sexual encounters (46:21)
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Your Kick-Ass Life Mentorship Masterclass
Video she mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgd3m-x46JU
Karen’s blog post regarding Margaret Cho
Karen’s Emotional Intelligence course – Use code YKAL to get 15% discount
On Death and Dying, Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
Episode 253: Conversations About Shit That Matters With Unqualified People: Andrea and Kate on Rape Culture
Episode 254: Conversations About Shit That Matters With Unqualified People: Andrea and Kate on Rape Culture
Karen B. K. Chan is an award-winning sex and emotional literacy educator in Toronto, Canada, with 20+ years of experience. Trained in Creative Facilitation, Productive Thinking, and Non-Violent Communication, BK's favourite ways to learn and teach are through stories, metaphors, diagrams, and things that make people laugh.