We like the idea of hiring a life coach, the idea of listening to all the podcasts, the idea of reading all the books and then, many times we don’t actually do the personal development work. Yes, doing this kind of what I call “passive learning” does matter. You are getting it in between your ears (better than your inner-critic!). But, there does come a time when action needs to happen. This week I have another YKAL Coaching episode for you. And Marisa, whom I coach in this episode, is a perfect example of someone doing the work.
Let’s get into this week’s coaching session. Meet Marisa, a new entrepreneur and recruiting agency employee from North Carolina. She came to me because she wanted to learn how to slow down, which we talk about in this episode. But like many coaching sessions, our conversation took a turn. We turned to the topic of values, including the difference between perfectionism and striving for excellence, as well as, Marisa’s values around integrity and patience. And then the conversation zig-zagged to the topic of triggers around feedback and how her mother, starting from a young age, has been the source of that trigger. This is big stuff, y’all and I am so honored that Marisa opened up and was vulnerable in this way.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- Being okay with slowing down and getting into the mindset that when you are building a business, it’s okay to pause (6:10)
- Wanting a better perspective and clarity around why she launched her business and keeping the entrepreneur fire lit (7:58)
- Exploring Marisa’s value around patience and the realization that she isn’t giving herself the same love she gives others in that arena (10:00)
- There’s a difference between perfectionism and striving for excellence (12:45)
- Self-fulfillment and living a life that honors her true, ‘why’. (19:00)
- How to have a hard and honest conversation with a loved one, and how the health of personal relationships is bigger than we realize (24:00)
- A super kick-ass update from Marisa and how she’s been doing the work (46:30)
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Perfect Girls, Starving Daughters, Courtney Martin
The Joy Junkie
John Gottman on The Armchair Expert
Don’t forget, YKAL patrons can apply to be coached on a future episode of the podcast. To find out more head over to Patreon.com/ykal.