I’ve known Sam Bennett for many years now. She’s a writer, speaker, actor, and creativity-productivity specialist as well as the author of the best-selling books, Get It Done and Start Right Where You Are. Sam is the creator of the Organized Artist Company where she helps creative individuals get unstuck and move forward with their goals. She is such a joy and she gives the best advice when I need to hear it.
In this episode, Sam and I discuss procrastination and overwhelm. She reminds us that other people can’t make us feel overwhelmed, it’s a feeling we put onto ourselves. And, she shares some ways to reclaim our power. As Sam said, “When you are doing something you like, in the way you like to do it, it’s not so hard to get stuff done.”
In this episode you’ll hear:
- What if you let this thing (whatever that thing is for you) be as big as it wants to be? (8:22)
- Overwhelm and procrastination are BIG words and used to describe many things (10:39)
- Setting worthy goals and how one can achieve them; plus the ‘groan’ zone (14:56)
- Some action steps to use your imagination for good (20:50)
- The eye-opening thing Sam does when she sees people doing things in which she disapproves (30:10)
- A 5-minute art exercise you can do to help you work through your feelings (32:19)
- The difference between being creative and being artistic (39:33)
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Get it Done
Start Right Where You Are
How to Cope in Uncertain Times, Part 1
Home to Cope in Uncertain Times, Part 2
What do you want your behavior to be?
How to Stop Feeling Like Shit
52 Ways to Live a Kick-Ass Life
Join my free YKAL Book Club call!
Originally from Chicago, Samantha Bennett is a writer, speaker, actor, teacher and creativity/productivity specialist and the author of the bestselling, “Get It Done: From Procrastination to Creative Genius in 15 Minutes a Day” which Seth Godin called, “An instant classic, essential reading for anyone who wants to make a ruckus.”
Her latest bestseller is, “Start Right Where You Are: How Little Changes Can Make a Big Difference for Overwhelmed Procrastinators, Frustrated Overachievers and Recovering Perfectionists”
She is the creator of The Organized Artist Company, dedicated to helping tens of thousands of creative people get unstuck, helping them to focus and move forward on their goals.
Sam has also written the script for the hit musical, “In a Booth at Chasen’s,” and is working on her latest book, “Secrets of Highly Creative People.”
Right-click to download the .mp3