I’ve talked about burnout many times on this podcast and I’m no stranger to it. In fact, in 2020, I took an 8-month break from Instagram partly due to burnout. So I wanted to have an expert on to talk specifically about this topic. Joining me to explore this widespread issue is two-time TEDx speaker, Joanna Denton. In 2014, after two burnouts in five years, Joanna decided to leave the tax world behind and change her life completely. Today, she's a speaking and executive coach for thought leaders, business executives, and entrepreneurs.
Burnout is something many women struggle with – no matter their life’s circumstances and is more prevalent than we actually think. Together, Joanna and I discuss the different phases of burnout, the lessons Joanna learned from her journey back from it, and how to ask for help when you are feeling mentally or physically burnt out.
- Why it is so difficult for leaders to talk about burnout, and what can we do to make it easier. (6:20)
- The difference between depression and burnout. (8:00)
- Joanna’s burnout journey and how her life improved as a result of her burnouts. (12:18)
- The biggest lessons Joanna learned during her journey back from burnout. (17:22)
- Joanna’s book “The Different Truth”, what the title means and how it encourages readers to start a conversation about choices and step into a new truth. (37:08)
- Asking for help and being vulnerable. (45:47)
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Joanna on Instagram
YKAL Private Coaching
Brené Brown: The power of vulnerability – TEDx Talk
Joanna Denton: What choice are you not making today? – TEDx Talk
Joanna Denton: Le pouvoir d'un choix – TEDx Talk
Joanna is a two-time TEDx speaker who has been a conference speaker for nearly twenty years, speaking on stages all around Europe as well as in North America. She is a lawyer by training and was a tax consultant in Big 4 accounting firms in both the UK and Luxembourg for sixteen years. In 2014, after two burnouts in five years, Joanna decided to leave the tax world behind and change her life completely. Today, she's a speaking and executive coach for thought leaders, business executives, and entrepreneurs. Her mission in life is to break the silence around burnout at work, and help her clients get back some headspace so they can get on and do what they love. She wrote “A Different Truth” to start a conversation about choices and help anyone who wants to take back control of their life by making different choices.