Dr. Adrienne Youdim is on the show today and has a very interesting story in her journey as a medical weight loss doctor. I’ll let you listen in as she talks about this journey in the first few minutes of the show, but in a nutshell, she wrote a book based on what she’s seen over and over again with her patients and in her own life. Which led her to write a book teaching women to reach a place of self-acceptance, purpose, and meaning.
Dr. Adrienne’s mission is to transform our relationship with food, our weight and our bodies to one that is informed and empowered, inspiring people to live more physically and emotionally fulfilling lives.
Her book talks about the many, many ways women are hungry and although we only have time to talk about a handful of them, I’m sure you’ll resonate with the ones we do touch on, and if you want to know the rest, you’ll have to grab her book!
- What brought Dr. Adrienne to write a book that isn’t really about weight loss, even though she was a doctor who helped people lose weight. (4:42))
- Andrea reads an excerpt from Dr. Adrienne’s book that talks about the universal hungers that we all have and feel. (7:05)
- We talk about how detrimental fat-shaming is, what is Body dysmorphic disorder, as well as what happens when we use food to cope. (7:37)
- I ask since Dr. Adrienne’s book Hungry for More focuses on the many things women are actually hungry for, what have been the chapters that resonate the most with readers? (12:16)
- What, in terms of mental and emotional health, does she see in her practice? (24:14)
- We discuss dopamine…is that one of the hungers? (35:06)
- I ask about ritual, why is having ritual in our life one of our hungers and why is it important? (40:18)
I love a good personal development book, and you do too, right? I’ve compiled a list of book recommendations, as mentioned in past episodes. Check out these amazing book recommendations here. Happy reading!
MSN is supported by:
We love the sponsors that make our show possible! You can always find all the special deals and codes for all our current sponsors on our website: andreaowen.com/sponsors/
Dr. Adrienne Youdim is a physician, author, TEDx speaker specializing in medical weight loss and clinical nutrition. Her mission is to transform our relationship with food, our weight and our bodies to one that is informed and empowered, inspiring people to live more physically and emotionally fulfilling lives.
After receiving her degree from the University of California San Diego School of Medicine, Dr. Youdim completed her residency training and fellowship at Cedars-Sinai, where she later became the medical director for the Center for Weight Loss. She holds multiple board certifications awarded by the American Board of Internal Medicine, the National Board of Physician Nutrition Specialists, and the American Board of Obesity Medicine. She is also a Fellow of the American College of Physicians.
Dr. Youdim currently sees patients in her private practice in Beverly Hills. Her book Hungry for More: Stories and Science to Inspire Weight Loss from the Inside Out explores the emotional and spiritual hungers that present as a hunger for food validating universal experiences through story and science. She also hosts the Health Bite podcast, ranked amongst the top 5% most listened globally, and is founder of Dehl Nutrition, a complete line of nutritional supplements made with functional nutrients to promote health and wellbeing. Dr Youdim is a national speaker sought after by the media and has been featured on The Doctors, Dr. Phil, Dr.Oz, ABC news, Inside Edition, National Public Radio among other news outlets.
Dr. Youdim lives in Los Angeles with her high school sweetheart, 3 kids and labradoodle. In her spare time, she can be found running, reading and gathered around a home-cooked meal with family and friends.