This week I’m bringing you an archived episode…Dr. Ellen Vora was one of my favorite guests and since I know so many of y’all struggle with anxiety, I knew exactly the episode I wanted to re-air! Enjoy her again and the very important message she shares.
Dr. Ellen Vora is on the show this week to share several holistic approaches to the treatment of anxiety. Ellen is a holistic psychiatrist, acupuncturist, and yoga teacher. She takes a functional medicine approach to mental health—considering the whole person and addressing imbalance at the root.
In this episode, we talk about whether or not we are experiencing an anxiety epidemic, strategies for addressing anxiety, the difference between “false” and “true” anxiety, and so much more. I am beyond excited to introduce you to her. She is so smart, has a wealth of information, and I had so many questions for her. I hope you enjoy this conversation as much as I did!
Some other topics we explore:
- The cause of the anxiety epidemic (5:54)
- Ellen talks about her approach to defining anxiety, “false anxiety” and some strategies for addressing it (8:50)
- The connection between hormones, birth control, and mood regulation (13:20)
- The role of psychedelics in treating anxiety and the mystical experience hypothesis (18:34)
- Ellen shares her controversial views on sunshine, why our bodies benefit from the sun, and some healthy ways to get sun exposure (24:24)
- Ellen’s nuanced view on body positivity and binge eating (27:03)
- How we can realistically improve our sleep and why is scrolling on our phones at night relevant to anxiety (36:34)
- Ellen’s hot-take on the effects of nutrient dense diets on post-partum depression and anxiety (45:50)
I love a good personal development book, and you do too, right? I’ve compiled a list of book recommendations, as mentioned in past episodes. Check out these amazing book recommendations here. Happy reading!
Find a complete list of our sponsors and their offerings visit andreaowen.com/sponsors. Thank you for your support!
ELLEN VORA, MD, is a holistic psychiatrist, acupuncturist, and yoga teacher. She takes a functional medicine approach to mental health—considering the whole person and addressing imbalance at the root. Dr. Vora received her B.A. from Yale University and her M.D. from Columbia University, and she is board-certified in psychiatry and integrative holistic medicine. She lives in New York City with her husband and daughter.