This week’s episode is based on a listener's request about how to recover from the betrayal of infidelity. Michelle Mays joins me to discuss cheating, the betrayal bind, and solutions for healing. Michelle is a Licensed Professional Counselor and expert in treating sexual betrayal and trauma. She is the author of the new book The Betrayal Bind: How to Heal When the Person You Love the Most Has Hurt You the Worst, and she is the founder of the Center for Relational Recovery in Northern Virginia outside of DC.
In this episode, you’ll hear about:
- Cheating and what makes sexual betrayal so devastating and problematic? (3:37)
- The betrayal bind is what happens when we experience betrayal at the hands of our most significant other. (8:08)
- Every betrayed partner goes through three specific injuries. (16:08)
- The role of gaslighting when a partner is cheating (19:54)
- Michelle answers, “Can you actually heal from betrayal and cheating?” (28:08)
- “Your relationship may not be salvageable, but you can absolutely heal from betrayal and move into the rest of your life and thrive and flourish afterward.” AND “If you are trying to heal your relationship, that is possible. The deciding factor is whether you are both in it 100%.” (29:50)
Book recommendations:You know how I love a good personal development book, right? I’ve compiled a list of book recommendations, as mentioned in past episodes. Check out these amazing book recommendations here. Happy reading!
We love the sponsors that make our show possible! You can always find all the special deals and codes for all our current sponsors on our website: andreaowen.com/sponsors
Michelle Mays is a Licensed Professional Counselor and expert in treating sexual betrayal and trauma. She is the author of the new book The Betrayal Bind: How to Heal When the Person You Love the Most Has Hurt You the Worst and she is the founder of the Center for Relational Recovery in Northern Virginia outside of DC. Michelle is a Certified Sex Addiction Therapist and Supervisor. She was trained by Pia Mellody in the Post Induction Therapy model for treating developmental trauma and is currently completing her PhD in Clinical Sexology.